Search This Blog


Friday, October 15, 2010

It's That Time of Year

So, you want to own a diesel pusher motor home?  They sure are nice, tons of room, great CCC, smooth ride, plenty of power...and lots of stuff to tinker with, adjust, change and replace.  Also lots of costs, too.

I'm glad that I spent a large part of my career around machinery and diesel engines, so I'm happy to drag out a tool set and get to work.  My work list of required maintenance is quite long, so I break it down into smaller, a couple of hour projects and save the $100+ per hour labor charge that a dealership would charge.

This weekend, I intend to service the  Journey's Cat diesel engine and the chassis.  I picked up an oil filter and two fuel filters at my local Freightliner dealer, a quick $98.00.  I picked up oil and grease at Walmart for an additional $65.00.  If I had the oil, fuel filters and chassis grease done at the shop, I'd be looking at an over $250.00 tab.  That's a considerable savings.  Fortunately, the Cat diesel oil and filter change is an annual job, or 11,000 miles, whichever comes first.  With our usage, they both seem to hit at the same time.


So my plan for tomorrow is take Marti out for a nice breakfast, then zip home and get the oil change done, shower and head out on the road around noon and go somewhere, with no idea where we'll end up.  That's the joy of having an RV.

Thanks for visiting and feel free to leave a comment.

2 comments:

  1. Well, I hope you guys really get to relax and have a great time this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. enjoy the weekend after you get your chores done!!

    ReplyDelete