Search This Blog


Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Tire Update

While the Journey was at the dealer for the Norcold recall, I did some research on my tire cracking issue.




Google is my friend and led me to the  Michelin RV Tire Maintenance Guide .  It's a .pdf file that I downloaded.  The guide talks about tire cracks on page 7 of the guide.


There is a picture in the guide that looks just like my tires.  The guide says that if the cracks are less that 2/32 of an inch, the tire is okay to use.  My tires are just slightly cracked, I can barely get the end of a toothpick in them, so I'm good to go.  I will keep a close eye on them and I will purchase some tire covers to protect them from sunlight when the Journey is parked.

Just one more thing to keep an eye on.

Thanks for visiting and feel free to leave a comment.

7 comments:

  1. glad you don't have to purchase new tires as yet!..and in answer to your question..is Tucker old enough to date?..but of course..but don't tell him!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never thought we would be so into tires, black tanks, grey tanks and so many other things that always come up in conversations with RVers.

    Tires are one thing that we replace often and keep an eye on always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tires sure are expensive but we have to be safe. You sure need to keep at least one eye those.

    Travel Safe
    Dawn and Denise

    ReplyDelete
  4. These RVs require continuous attention and care but they deliver some mighty fine living!! Be safe...

    ReplyDelete
  5. What age are your Tires ???? If aproaching 7 years you schould consider replacing them .Date of manufacture of the Tires is on the inside of the Tires as a rule.Have them checked by a good tire person.Just my 2 cents worth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had the same tire considerations and side wall cracks. Since they are 7 years old we decided to replace all 6.

    That was back in January. BUT can we get Michelin tires? Nope, not so far, unless we want set with dates from 2008.

    Tire companies are allowed to sell tires up to 2.5 years old as new. Boy do I think that's a rip. Glad Wolfgang mentioned how to check their age so you, and everyone else, will know.

    Sherry
    www.directionofourdreams.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome! No words. You always go one step beyond.

    There is so much great, useful information here. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
    Read our guide if you wish.
    Batterymodeon

    Thanks again :)

    ReplyDelete